Children Fight a Two-Way Battle against Malnutrition and COVID 19
But Together We Can Enable Them to Win this Fight
Nearly 40% of India’s children were undernourished in some way, when Coronavirus came knocking to make things worse. Despite relentless efforts by all, the Covid-19 situation remains unchanged and is getting worse day-by-day.
With the second wave doubling the intensity, Covid-19 is now infecting children apart from adults. The burden of malnutrition has also doubled for children.
Your donation is 100% secure.
Malnourished children of India need our support more than ever before
- Globally, India contributes 20% to under-five mortality and 25% to neonatal mortality
- Among the 472 million children (2011 census), 97 million are anaemic and undernourished
- Every 25 seconds, an under-5 child in India succumbs to a preventable cause such as malnutrition or infection
- Migrants losing jobs during the pandemic, has made malnutrition a bigger challenge for children coming from the migrant community
- Along with food scarcity, 42% of rural and 40% of urban households have not received any kind of education support during Covid-19
These aren’t just statistics to be printed in newspapers, but harsh realities of children in India. Collective responsibility can help tackle the situation and enable a healthier childhood for these young ones.
Save the Children is relentlessly working to devise new-age solutions to help children from backward communities defeat malnutrition and Covid-19. We adopt the following approach in this mission of ours:
MOUNTING A LIFE-SAVING COVID-19 RESPONSE IN 2020
- Based on threefold strategy to tackle the Covid crises and malnutrition, our response included mounting an exclusive COVID -19 response in 49 districts of 13 states & UTs.
- In 2020, we provided humanitarian response to over 13.6 lakh people out of which 5.57 lakh were children
- Over 6 lakh people were provided relief material in the form of hygiene kits, dry ration kits, cooked food, livelihood kits and protective kits such as PPE kits and sanitizers.
- Extended Psychosocial Support through telecalling counselling services provided to 63,059 individuals
‘Every Child, No Matter Who They are or Where They Come From, Should Grow Up Healthy’ is our motto. Amidst the pandemic, it’s our mission to reach out to children living on the fringes of society, their families, and communities to ensure food security, livelihood, psychosocial support, nutrition and learning opportunities for them.
Children like Anand are looking up to you for your immediate support!